Monday, May 16, 2011

Greetings from Sarah


My name is Sarah Thompson, and I am the Countess of Rumford.


I was born in 1774 in New Hampshire. My mother was a rich heiress and my father was a physicist and inventor. In the American revolutionary war my father took the side of the British, and when they lost, he moved to London. There he was knighted for his services to the Empire. My mother and I remained in New Hampshire, however.


When my mother died, I moved to be with my father in London, and at the age of 23 I became the first American to receive the title of Countess.

I never married. Instead I spent most of my life helping needy children, and adopted a daughter of my own. I set up two asylums to help the public, and in 1984, 130 years after my death, the Rumford Society was established in my honour.


You can visit my grave in Concord, New Hampshire.

No comments:

Post a Comment